Tuesday 19 October 2010

Review!

Below are some kind words from one of our readers who bought copies of our latest books at the Exeter Expo:

Hi John,
You probably won’t remember me as it was a busy day, but we met briefly at the Exeter Comic Con last month. I’ve been meaning to get back to you for a little while now, ever since I finished reading the two Kult publications I picked up whilst I was there, Cross and The Sixpenny Murder. You did ask at the time for some feedback, and I didn’t want to disappoint, I know how helpful it can be.
To start with, I immensely enjoyed both comics, and for very different reasons. Cross initially caught my attention and whilst we were chatting the story behind the creation of The Sixpenny Murder got me too. I remember saying at the time that comparing Cross to the Vicar of Dibley put me off a little, but the moment you mention zombie Nazis I was sold.
I loved Cross, and I’m a big fan of the original Danger Girl comic, and although very different, I couldn’t help but get the same fun adventure and excitement feeling from Cross. I really-really enjoyed it, and I can’t wait for more. The two stories in the one issue worked well, and I thought the gag in the second one about using underwear as a deadly weapon was just brilliant, it had me laughing out loud when I read it. I think it is a great mix of supernatural, cheeky fun in an action-adventure. Both stories were well paced with well timed ‘twists’ at the end, the art and the panelling is fantastic too.
I’ve been raving about Cross to my friends it impressed me so much. My only criticism would be to drop the Vicar of Dibley reference, I now ‘get-it’ having spoken to you and having read the comic, but I know I wasn’t the only one at the convention put off by it. The thing is, I’ve really had a think about it and can’t come up with a better one. I guess you could argue that it worked; it did get me to take a look at it after all?
Equally as impressed with the Sixpenny Murder. The style of the comic is perfect, the writing style and art fit each other well, and the idea behind the comic just makes it that more special. When I read it I got a real emotional attachment very quickly to the characters, their situation and way their individual stories played out. By the time I had gotten to the last few panels, I couldn’t help but feel a bit of a sick feeling in my stomach as they went to the gallows. The panel with the feet hit a real note with me as the reader; in fact, the whole comic was a big insight to not only the event, but also times. The Sixpenny Murder is a fantastic example of how comics can be used to tell stories outside of what would be considered the norm, and I could see it easily attracting none comic readers too.
I hope you find something useful in my ramblings, all the best and I can’t wait for more, Simon.

simonbreeze.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment